Dr Mike Evans

Israeli security force arrest seven terror suspects in overnight raid

Israeli security forces arrested seven people wanted over suspected involvement in terror activity overnight as part of an ongoing counterterrorism operation, the nation’s military said.

The raids occurred in the West Bank towns of Anata, Dura and Deir Abu Masha’al. Two suspects were also taken into custody in Hebron.

“In addition, IDF and Border Police forces apprehended two terrorist suspects in the town of Nur Shams,” said the IDF Spokesperson’s Unit in a statement, according to YNet News (https://www.ynetnews.com/article/hygfbnoh9).

“During counterterrorism activity, illegal ammunition and weapons were found and confiscated,” the report added. “The suspects and confiscated weapons were transferred to the security forces for further processing.”

The raid took place the day after two Palestinians were killed and others injured during gunfire early Sunday in Nablus. The shooting incident happened after security forces entered the city to arrest terror suspects and were fired upon by militants from inside a building.

Aboud Sobh, 29, and Muhammad Al-Azizi, 22, were named as the two men killed. Nine others were wounded during three three-hour shootout. The militant group Fatah Al-Aqsa Martyrs Brigades claimed the two deceased men as its members.

The raids were part of Operation Break the Wave which was launched to crack down on the increase in terror activity in the West Bank. The operation was rolled out after a surge of terror attacks earlier in the year that led to19 Israeli deaths.

The operation also led to six arrests last month in the West Bank following raids in Haras, Nablus, Ramallah and the Al Aida refugee camp. In addition to the arrests, numerous weapons were seized in the operation. No Israeli officers were reported injured in either incident.